What is Tampon Tuesday®?
Tampon Tuesday® is a registered trademark held by Bell Media. It is an event that brings people together in a community for an afternoon/evening of socializing, networking and supporting women who are less fortunate or in crisis. Shopper’s Drug Mart is the presenting sponsor for Tampon Tuesday®.
In October 2016, Sharon Lupton, National Director, Labour Programs & Services, United Way Centraide Canada/Canadian Labour Congress proposed to organize simultaneous national “Tampon Tuesday” event across all of the United Way Labour Programs to coincide with International Women’s Day, March 8, 2017. We are currently planning our 3rd annual Tampon Tuesday® initiative which will include a collection drive and event.
The SDLC, CLC – Prairie Region and United Way of Saskatoon and Area will be hosting the 3rd annual event:
- Tuesday, March 12, 2019
- 5:30 – 7:30pm
- Hudsons Canada’s Bar (401 21st St E – back room)
- Cost: Package(s) of menstrual hygiene product(s). Those who bring a donation to the event will receive a free drink ticket courtesy of Hudsons.
- Free appetizers will be served. Individuals are responsible for purchasing their own beverages.
- Win a door prize!
2018 Tampon Tuesday® Highlights
- 45 unions, workplaces, groups or individuals formally registered for the collection drive
- 18 unions and individuals provided monetary donations
- With the generous donations of product and money, 2300 packages of product were distributed late spring 2018
- Due to product donations and additional monetary donations received after our first distribution, 500 additional packages were distributed on #Giving Tuesday (November 28, 2018)
- A conservative estimate of the 2 product distributions is $14,000!! (2800 packages x $5/pkg)
- Product was dispersed to:
- YXE Connects OUTSaskatoon
- AIDS Saskatoon Bedford Road Collegiate
- Mount Royal Collegiate Westside Community Centre
- Sanctum Saskatoon Sexual Health
- Interval House & Adelle House White Buffalo Youth Lodge
- YWCA Shelter Lighthouse Supported Living
Unions and labour organizations that participated in our 2nd annual initiative include:
- CUPE Local 1975
- IAFF Local 80
- IATSE Local 300
- PSAC Local 40022
- RWDSU Local 480
- RWDSU Local 558
- RWDSU Saskatchewan Joint Board
- SFL 2017 Annual Convention
- SEIU-West Office and Staff
- SEIU-West at Saskatoon City Hospital
- SEIU-West and Parkridge
- SGEU at Saskatchewan Assessment Management Agency
- SOAR (Steelworker Organization of Active Retirees)
- SUN Local 107 at Saskatoon City Hospital
- SUN Local 141 at Home Care
- SUN District Council
- SUN Annual AGM
- UFCW Local 1400 Women’s Committee
- UFCW Local 649
- UFCW Local 248P
- Unifor Local 2-S
- Unifor Local 609
- USW Local 5917
- USW Local 7689
- USW Local 8933
Many other businesses, organizations, groups and individuals participated as well.
What is happening in 2019
Stay tuned for upcoming details regarding our 3rd annual event and collection drive. For more information…………..