What is Tampon Tuesday®?
Tampon Tuesday® is a registered trademark held by Bell Media. It is an event that brings people together in a community for an afternoon/evening of socializing, networking and supporting women who are less fortunate or in crisis. Shopper’s Drug Mart is the presenting sponsor for Tampon Tuesday®.
In October 2016, Sharon Lupton, National Director, Labour Programs & Services, United Way Centraide Canada/Canadian Labour Congress proposed to organize simultaneous national “Tampon Tuesday” event across all of the United Way Labour Programs to coincide with International Women’s Day, March 8, 2017. These events were held to profile the need for all girls and women to have access to necessary feminine hygiene products (FHP). Fourteen labour staff organized events in 16 communities across Canada. This year 31 events took place across the country. To date, 18 of these events have reported that over 15,000 boxes were collected for local distribution. Marie Clarke Walker (CLC Secretary-Treasurer) and Jacline Nyman (UWCC President & CEO) were national ambassadors for the 2018 initiative.
The SDLC, CLC-Prairie Region and United Way of Saskatoon & Area organized an event on March 20, 2018 at Hudson’s. As well, a collection drive occurred.
From the collection drives and cash donations ($2700), about 2300 packages of menstrual products were distributed in Saskatoon. Shoppers Drug Mart also provided us with $1000 in gift certificates.
The retail value of 2300 packages of menstrual product (conservative estimate of $5/package) = $11,500.00!
Distribution of product:
- 500 pre-made bags (about 2 month’s supply) were distributed to individuals at YXE Connects. YXE Connects is a one-stop shop for members of the community to access services in one place, on one day. United Way of Saskatoon & Area is proud to be one of the sponsors and founding partners of this important community initiative.
- Additional product was provided to:
- Saskatoon Interval House
- Adelle House
- Bedford Road CollegiateLighthouse Supported Living
- Saskatoon Sexual Health
- White Buffalo Youth Lodge
- AIDS Saskatoon
- YWCA Shelter
- Westside Community Centre
Unions and labour organizations that participated in our 2nd annual initiative include:
- CUPE Local 1975
- IAFF Local 80
- IATSE Local 300
- PSAC Local 40022
- RWDSU Local 480
- RWDSU Local 558
- RWDSU Saskatchewan Joint Board
- SFL 2017 Annual Convention
- SEIU-West Office and Staff
- SEIU-West at Saskatoon City Hospital
- SEIU-West and Parkridge
- SGEU at Saskatchewan Assessment Management Agency
- SOAR (Steelworker Organization of Active Retirees)
- SUN Local 107 at Saskatoon City Hospital
- SUN Local 141 at Home Care
- SUN District Council
- SUN Annual AGM
- UFCW Local 1400 Women’s Committee
- UFCW Local 649
- UFCW Local 248P
- Unifor Local 2-S
- Unifor Local 609
- USW Local 5917
- USW Local 7689
- USW Local 8933
Many other businesses, organizations, groups and individuals participated as well.
What is happening in 2019
Stay tuned for upcoming details regarding our 3rd annual event and collection drive. For more information…………..