Since 1999, the SDLC has hosted a free BBQ on Labour Day for the community to enjoy. The event takes place at Victoria Park (near Riversdale Pool) from 11:30am – 1:30pm. Affiliated unions and organizations also provide live entertainment, children’s activities, swag, treats and information.
Why Labour Day?
Labour Day is about recognizing the contributions of workers to society, and the contributions of unions to the well-being of our communities and country. The efforts of Canadian unions and
labour organizations brought health and safety laws, shorter work weeks, the weekend, and minimum labour standards to benefit all workers. We did not stop at the workplace. Healthcare, student loans, social housing all have their roots in the groundwork laid by the labour movement, as do public pensions.
This Labour Day we are talking about:
- How unions won the first major expansion of Canada Pension Plan benefits
- How Canada’s unions have long worked to expose the danger posed by asbestos and win a comprehensive ban on its import, export and use
- How unions are working to end precarious work and restore the conditions needed for good, sustainable jobs, including a living wage, stable work hours, time off when we’re sick, and days off to spend quality time with those who matter most.
For Canada’s unions, Labour Day is our time to celebrate our work about making life better for everyone and making a better future for the next generation. It’s about fairness, equality and solidarity for all Canadians.
- SEIU-West SEIU-West
- UFCW 1400 and Women’s Committee UFCW 1400 and Women’s Committee
- United Way of Saskatoon United Way of Saskatoon